Becoming an Anti-Racist Activist
Capitalism and the Creation of the White Race Week 5
- To develop an understanding of how the 'white race' (aka white privilege) was created as a major foundation to maintain capitalism in the U.S.
- To understand experientially that the "Strategy of the Slave Owners" --creation of white privilege for poorest Europeans indentured servants -- was a specific ruling class strategy to divide the oppressed on the basis of continental origins (European, African, Native American).
- To experience the contradictory condition of all non-ruling class whites, as BOTH oppressed AND privileged, and how this contradiction has affected our organizing for social justice.
- To understand experientially how internalized white supremacy (white supremacist ideology) both reflects and perpetuates white privilege across generations.
- To strengthen our commitment to learn from past history so that we can help to create a new history out of the old.
- Agenda Review
- pair N' Share: Response to Readings
- Framing Main Points of Construction of White Privilege
- Brainstorm: Examples of White Privilege
- Legacy of the Slave Owners
- Role Play
- Evaluation: Constructive Criticism is an Act of Love
BARA Week 4 ¦ BARA Week 6 >>